As I did last year, here’s a quick 2013 recap.
1. What did you do in 2013 that you’d never done before?
Hmm. I hosted both Thanksgiving and Christmas. Made baklava. Celebrated Stanford’s Rose Bowl win. Celebrated the Red Sox winning the World Series with my son. Used spray paint. Brought a plant back to life rather than what I usually do, which is the opposite. Had professional pictures taken of my family, thanks to the lovely Jess.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don’t make resolutions. This year I did set a few goals for myself (30 movies, 30 books, 2 new states) and I may do some mini monthly goals for myself.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
No other countries. It may be a while before my answer to this changes. I did visit Colorado and South Carolina for the first times though! I had a brief layover in Chicago which really doesn’t count but I’m hoping to get out there for real this year!
6. What would you like to have in 2014 that you didn’t have in 2013?
7. What dates from 2013 will be etched upon your memory, and why?
We had a pretty good year and I’m happy to report that there aren’t really any dates that stand out to me. I guess turning 30 (Dec 19) will be remembered but other than that I’ll remember a lot of great memories and remain fuzzy on the actual dates.
8. What was your biggest achievement of this year?
Moving to a larger home in a new city. I can’t even tell you how much happier this move has made my entire family. We have our own spaces, a backyard, inside laundry, and maybe most importantly: no painful memories.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Staying on budget. Still recovering from lawyer bills.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
No, nothing special.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Our grill. Oh man, that thing has gotten so much use.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Uhh. I don’t know.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
I try not to dwell on this sort of thing. Facebook makes it difficult.
14. Where did most your money go?
Lawyer bills, rent, preschool, travel.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Time with girlfriends! And the planning of future girlfriend time! Oh, and planning a few kid parties. It’s a sickness.
16. What song will always remind you of 2013?
“Royals” by Lorde.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer?
Happier, same, same
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Let people know when I was thinking of them. Sent notes/gifts just because.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Spent time upset about things I can’t control.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
We hosted this year so I spent it refilling drinks, cooking a ham and cleaning up. It was LOVELY.
21. Did you fall in love in 2013?
I fall more in love with my little family every single day, so I suppose so. I also really, really love the green Kate Spade purse Geoff gave me for my birthday.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
24. What was the best book you read?
Me Before You by JoJo Moyes. Oh, I loved that book so much.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Yeah, there were none of those.
26. What did you want and get?
27. What did you want and not get?
A fairy godmother or a genie in a bottle.
28. What was your favorite film of 2013?
Hmm, I haven’t seen many but I did see and love both “Star Trek: Into Darkness” and “Catching Fire.”
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I woke up and had Starbucks and bagels before going to Ulta for an eyebrow wax. But while there my eyebrow lady decided to do my makeup for me and WOW that was a ton of makeup. Then we went out to lunch with my parents before I was dropped off at the spa for a nice long massage. Then my family picked me up and we went out to dinner and walked around the outdoor shopping area to window shop and look at the christmas lights. The next day we went to Hayley’s winter show at preschool then dropped the kids off at my mom’s for their first overnight there and Geoff and I went to stay at the world’s largest suite at the Fairmont in San Jose. We went to La Vic for dinner, walked around Christmas in the Park and then went to see “Catching Fire.” Afterwards, we picked up some french fries and baked goods to snack on in the sheets while watching some “Say Yes to the Dress.” It was all exactly what I hoped for. Oh, and I turned 30.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept of 2013?
“I’m trying, I SWEAR!”
32. What kept you sane?
33. What political issue stirred you the most?
Same as always. Sigh. Marriage equality and women’s rights issues.
34. Who did you miss?
My old boss.
35. Who was the best new person you met?
36. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2013.
Life is too short for cheap bacon.
37. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
“It was a beautiful day.”