I wasn’t going to do this wrap up because it was too depressing, but I’m going for honesty here. So here we go…
1. What did you do in 2012 that you’d never done before?
I became the mother to a son. That might not seem very different from being the mother of a daughter, but you’d be wrong. Very wrong.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don’t make resolutions. That makes things easy to keep. I don’t need another thing to feel bad about not doing.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes, two of my close work friends had their second children- both boys. Many, many adorably lovely internet babies were also born this year.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
No countries beyond the U.S. Just trips to New Orleans and Disneyland.
6. What would you like to have in 2013 that you didn’t have in 2012?
I’d like to have a larger home, with Damien in his own bedroom.
7. What dates from 2012 will be etched upon your memory, and why?
January 12, the day Damien was born. February 21, Hayley’s 3rd birthday and the day we had a tea party to celebrate. Friday the (April) 13th, the day my world went dark. July 19, the day my world let in some light again.
8. What was your biggest achievement of this year?
I fought and got my family back.
9. What was your biggest failure?
My baby getting hurt. My babies being taken from me.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Does utter heartbreak count? Otherwise, no, nothing major for me.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Our trip to Disneyland in October. Those 4 days were the best of the whole year.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Honestly? Me and my whole extended family. We fucking survived 2012 unscathed, and that wouldn’t have happened without each other. I owe my mom and sister everything.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
That one dr lady. Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan.
14. Where did most your money go?
Bills. Oh, boy, did those pile up this year. That, and Target.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
I got to meet/hang out with some of my very favorite people in New Orleans. I really, really needed that. I also totally freaked out about getting to take my kids to Disneyland. Travel and new experiences get me excited, what can I say?
16. What song will always remind you of 2012?
I don’t know. I think “Set Fire to the Rain” by Adele.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer?
Happier: Between not being hugely pregnant this year and really appreciating the little things more I’m going with happier.
Thinner: Thinner, but only because of not being pregnant now.
Richer: Financially? HAHAHAHA. No. Metaphorically? Absolutely.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
I wish I’d done more good deeds for others.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
20. How did you spend Christmas?
We spent it how we always do, head over to my mom’s in the morning for breakfast and presents. We hang out all day long, eating good food and enjoying the time together. Perfect.
21. Did you fall in love in 2012?
Yes. Unconditional, fierce love with my son and how he completes our little family.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
Parenthood and Modern Family.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
I only truly hate one person. She is a horrible, horrible woman that I will never, ever forgive or forget. And I didn’t hate her last year, so I guess the answer is yes.
24. What was the best book you read?
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
No time for music discoveries this year.
26. What did you want and get?
A healthy baby boy. Ok, and an iPad mini.
27. What did you want and not get?
I couldn’t seem to catch a break to save my life.
28. What was your favorite film of 2012?
Hmm, I can’t think of what movies I’ve seen. That kind of thing really took a backseat this year.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 29 and the actual day of I had to work late but I was surprised in the morning by my sister and mom at my office and it made me smile all day when I’d think about it. I picked up Chipotle after work and made it home just in time for dinner and cake and to snuggle my kids before bedtime. I registered for The Blathering for next year as my gift to myself and received an iPad mini and then a few days later went to dinner with just my husband and had a great time.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Besides the obvious, maybe a raise? Some hiring decisions turning out differently at work?
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept of 2012?
“I think this is clean and sort of matches?”
32. What kept you sane?
That this is all temporary. That I have a choice, I always have a choice.
33. What political issue stirred you the most?
Marriage equality and women’s rights issues.
34. Who did you miss?
I miss all my friends, spread out all across the country.
35. Who was the best new person you met?
Damien was clearly the best new person I met this year. He’s improved my world in countless ways and I am so, so lucky to be part of his life. I met Kori, Sara, and Carla this year and I feel like I’ve known each of them forever. I hope to always know them from here on out. Also, I didn’t meet Michelle or Jess this year but my friendship with them definitely took off and I love those two something fierce.
36. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012.
Always fight for your family. Always.
37. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
I belong with you, you belong with me
You’re my sweetheart
Love we need it now
Let’s hope for some
So we’re bleeding now
I belong with you, you belong with me
You’re my sweetheart
–The Lumineers, “Ho Hey”